The Role of Volunteers at CDW Kopan
CDW doesn’t have a structured programme for volunteers, preferring flexibility so that people can follow their particular interests in relation to their skills, experience and background.
· Provide the volunteers with experience in caring for community and rescued dogs and interacting with the local community in Kapan, Kathmandu.
· Provide assistance to Community Dog Welfare Kopan by helping with dog care, publicity, fund-raising, sponsorship, adoption and promotion of dog welfare in the local community.
- Care and treatment of dogs, including clinic visits.
- Dog handling: walking, bathing and grooming.
- Training dogs that are candidates for adoption to increase chances of adoption.
- Creating toys and games for the puppies, spending time playing with them and correcting bad habits.
- Helping with fund raising, sponsorship and adoption.
- Assistance with Facebook stories, and articles, including photography.
- Promotion of community vaccination and sterilization programmes by distributing fliers, and posting signage in the Kapan area (as needed).
- Interacting with the local community to improve dog welfare.
- Other tasks as required.
· Additional care and time given to the dogs results in healthy and better adjusted dogs.
· Readiness for adoption – puppies and dogs trained, fear and behavioural problems corrected.
· Increased support for dogs and activities in the centre and in the community.
· New Facebook posts and articles for the website.
· Local community is aware of forthcoming vaccination and sterilization programmes so that all dogs – owned and community dogs – are brought in on the specified date.
· Improved community awareness results in improved dog welfare.